Saturday, July 23, 2005

Linksys WRT54G extended w/an Airport Express

With all the positives about wireless networks, there are negatives: that's range. Some of you may have experience with only a couple of signal bars, resulting in slow web browsing, slow downloads/uploads, etc.

In one room with the wireless router, of course I get excellent range, and then I take my notebook to another room I get only 1 or 2 bars. So I needed a range expander and loving apple products with awesome designs, works seamlessly, very user-friendly, I went out and bought the airport express.

I loved how it's so tiny, it acts as a printer server so I can print out wireless. The Airtunes I didn't care about cuz it's not perfect.
Now, Apple says the Airport Express can only be used with the Airport Extreme base station. But with the help of google, it can be hacked with a firmware update. Every step is shown at this site: Here.

In brief, you download the firmware which is on the link and you update the firmware. Then you change the settings of the router and then the Airport Express. After those steps, you'll be up and running with a nice green light. That's all there is to it! In my experience it took no more than 15 minutes. So go for it. It's well worth it!

After setting up the range expander successfully, I wanted to setup the printer server so I'll be able to print on any of the pcs with a wireless card. I was amazed and very glad to find out that all I had to do was plug in the usb cable from the printer to the airport express. Now I opened up a site and tested it on my Powerbook. I saw in my list of printers, "Rendevous Printer". So I chose it and happily printed wireless! Awesome! I just wish it extended the range throughout my whole house. LOL. I wonder if I can add another Airport Express. Hmm?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home